life seems to make things up to me pretty quickly. considering how heinous the first half of the week was, the later half presented some sweet gifts. they came in the form of:
1. finding out that physical therapy at school costs $20 a semester! i start tomorrow. running may happen sooner than i thought. perhaps, the run to the far side thanksgiving weekend.
2. handing in the final draft of my thesis proposal.
3. finishing a lecture on depression and suicide, a 20-page paper, and a 2-page paper.
4. a truly excellent weekend filled with taiwanese dinner, tea with sebby and christophe, a trip to see the incredibles, good friends, and some quality studying (7 hours).
5. the arrival of my bbc pride and prejudice dvd.
6. some kick ass conversations with my closest friends and meeting some new, high-quality people.
7. the completion of my grad school essay.
some scattered thoughts about the weekend:
as sliu said today, old friends are a remarkable thing. you both change, life hews and hones your emotional edges as it will, and yet over time, you can still understand how the other operates and interact as if there was no significant passage. those friendships are the best because you never need to worry about disappointing the other, or having to justify yourself to the other. the person just gets it.
in the asian culture, children are raised to worry about their appearance and how others will construe their actions. as a result, many of my asian friends and i have grown up defining ourselves by a fear of and sensitivity towards people's reactions. for some reason, i have finally come to realize that it doesn't really matter what some random chap on the street thinks. no one will accept me more than i accept myself, and there will always be someone else to accept me, so we all might as well learn that we're the sh*t as is (without being conceited) and stop assessing people's visceral responses toward our actions.
i enjoy nothing more than a lazy saturday afternoon in the book store and picking up a ridiculously snotty piece of classic literature. this week's procurement: anna karenina. i also enjoy nothing more than being able to shoot the sh*t with the people who work in the book store.
i need to stop cussing. it's really bad.
finally, i had this great realization that i'm going to be studying something really badass the next 7 years. and i'm going to get into a program. wherever i am, i fully expect people to come visit me. especially if i'm in england. there's no excuse not to punt the cam with me.Posted by redchilipepper at November 7, 2004 09:02 PM